Lalibela is the Town in Amhara region Northern Ethiopia. Famous for Monotonic rock cut churches .The whole of Lalibela offers an exceptional testimony to the medieval and post medieval civilization of Ethiopia. Lallibela is one of the Ethiopia’s Holiest cities second only to Axum. And center of pilgrimage. Unlike Axum the population of Lallibela is most completely Ethiopia Orthodox Christian. Ethiopia was one of the earliest nations to Adopt Christianity in the first half of the fourth century and its historical routes date to the time of the Apostles.
The Layout and name the major buildings in Lalibela are widely accepted .especially by the local clergy; to be symbolic representation of Jerusalem. This has led some experts to date the current church form to the years following the capture of Jerusalem in 1187 by Muslim leader Saladdin.
Lalibela is located in simian Wollo zone of Amhara Region, at roughly 2500 Meter above sea level.it is the main town in Lasta Woreda; wich was formerly part of Bugna Woreda. The Rock _hewn Chuches were declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978.
This rural Town is Known Around the world for its churches curved from within the earth from LIVING ROCK which play an important part in the history of rock cut architecture . Though the dating of the churches is not well established. most are thought to have been built during the reign of Lalibala ,namely during the 12 and 13 th century.
UNESCO identified 11 churches assembled in four group.
The NORTHERN group
- Biete Madhanealem /house of the savior of the world / Home to Lalibala cross.
- Biete Maryam,/House of Maryam/possibly the oldest of the churches ,and a replica of of the Tombs of Adam and Christ.
- Biete Gologhota Mikael/house of gologhota mikael / known for its arts and said to contain the tomb of king Lalibela.
- Biete MESKEL /House of cross/
- Biete Dingil /House of virgin/
The Western Group
- Biete Giorgis / church of saint George /thought to be the most finely executed and best preserved church.
The Eastern Group
- Biete Emanuel/House of Emanuel/ possibly the former royal chapel.
- Biete QEDDUS Mercer us /HOUSE of st Mercerus.
- Biete Abba Libanos / House of Abbot Lebanon
- Biete Gabriel RUFAEL/HOUSE of the Gabriel